Sunday, February 7, 2010

Spring Food Show


My internet has been down for the past 5 days, but we are finally up and running again! (Sometimes I really hate technology) The Clausen house has been busy as usual...all of the kids have taken their turns being sick, especially Ty who has just gotten over RSV. And to make matters worse his first tooth broke through in the midst of it all:-( Last weekend our crew headed to Omaha for the Affiliated Foods Midwest Spring Food Show. We even got to spend the weekend with Uncle Evan, who drove from Iowa City to meet us. Let me give a run down of what the Food Show is like...it is in the Quest Center (which is huge by the way), and they set it up like a giant grocery store. I know what you're thinking... if you are on a diet the food show is definitely not the place you would want to be. Good thing I am not starting my diet until next week! Oh wait, I said that last week, and the week before that too! Anyway, we had a lot of fun sampling all of the new products, especially the boys. We also did a lot of swimming, and a little shopping too:-)


I really got Spring fever...all of the spring flowers, and this cute little garden. Too bad it wasn't real!
Mike and Uncle Evan took the boys to get balloon animals made. Kellen is now obsessed with his balloon monkey. We did this as a bribe, especially directed towards Cayden our stubborn one, who threw himself on the ground at one point and started yelling that he was too tired to walk anymore.
The vendors at the show really cater to the kids...Kellen started whining at one point, so a lady in the bakery area gave him a whole container of cupcakes and this mini heart cake.
Here are some of the samples we got. Did I mention that on the second day you can take whatever you want? It feels so weird taking things without paying. We are definitely going to have to explain to our children, that it is not okay to do this anywhere else.
The boys love Uncle Evan! He had a meeting with Dean of the Dental School at Creighton while he was in Omaha....keep your fingers crossed everyone! (And a little prayer won't hurt anything either)


6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ha! So I have someone else who understand the grocery business now. I've been to food shows- and it is hard to explain them to others. Yes- grab a bag- take anything you want! Vendors love to share. And it's a great place to get ideas for displays and marketing ideas..oh, and balloon animals:)

~Amy~ said...

That looks like fun!! Glad you had a wonderful weekend away and had fun while you were there!!
That darn Taxi!! Too funny Katie!

Little 'Nemos said...

Oh know not RSV again! you poor thing! Glad all went well for your weekend. Good thing Uncle Evan was there to help with swimming!

MoCos said...

That food on your counter is my heaven!! Hope Evan had a good meeting with Creighton, I know how stressful that can be... oh and I will take the giant container of cheese puffs... I am so mad at the snow that I am eating whatever I want...probably not the best idea, but whatever..

The Thorson Throwdown said...

I LOVE the food show! And I dont blame Cayden for being tired, I think that my feet hurt by the 2nd day!

Abby said...

Katie -

Tell Evan good luck with Creighton. I have a few good friends who are Creighton undergrad and dental school grads - it is a great program! Let me know if he needs any recommendations. I know the boards love to get letters from alumni.

Also, the food show looked fabulous! Can't go wrong with any convention that is centered around food AND gives it away...its like a dream vacation :)